Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My Babies Are Back!!

Two weeks ago, the unthinkable occurred. My computer died. Well, not exactly died. It was more like it went into a coma. It would begin as usual and then hang at the BIOS screen and not boot up so for all intents and purposes it was dead. I couldn't access anything on my hard drive and  (HORROR OF HORRORS!!) I couldn't connect to the internet. This state of affairs was particularly vexing inasmuch as I had just upgraded my system's RAM, video card, operating system and power supply. I had invested in enough upgrades to consider my computer brand new. It was working beautifully for three weeks until PFFFFT!...it wouldn't boot up. I immediately called my brother-in-law, the computer whiz who installed all the upgrades. He had never before seen anything like the problem I had. After eliminating all the obvious causes, he guessed that the problem was either the motherboard or the hard drive, neither of which is good news. It was now time to call in the big guns.

I took my electronic lifeline to Sysut Computers on Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn and left it in the capable hands of Adam. The following day I heard the diagnosis...it was, indeed, the motherboard, a rare but not unknown condition. A replacement board had to be ordered, installed and the computer checked to make sure all was running well. The new replacement took nearly a week to arrive. Although it took very little time to install, there was still the issue of testing the machine to make sure everything was running correctly. This ran into the Labor Day weekend so, of course, I couldn't get it back until after the holiday. All told, I was without a computer for 15 days. My trusty Kindle Fire allowed me to access my email during the downtime.

Normally I lose my mind when my computer acts up. My heart starts to race, my breathing becomes quick and shallow and hyperventilation is a distinct possibility. The thought of cutting the electronic umbilicus is gut wrenching but this time...nothing. When faced with the reality that my machine was not going to move past the blue BIOS screen, I just sighed, then turned to my second favorite machine...my trusty and ever present sewing machine. If I was told I had to leave in a hurry and could only take three things with me, my computer and my sewing machine would be my top two. THAT'S how much they mean to me.

Let me be the first to tell you not to believe those who say that lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place. Why? Because my sewing  machine also gave up the ghost not one, but TWO times in a span of three days. I had it serviced after the first incident, brought it home and it worked like a dream for about 24 hours until I heard an unwelcome CRUNCH and the feed dogs came to a stop. (For you non-sewers, feed dogs feed the fabric past the needle. You cannot machine sew without them.) A second repair shop trip revealed a drive gear that broke into several pieces and tumbled out of the machine like confetti when the repairman opened it. Fortunately it was a quick fix and I was back to sewing in no time. I caught up on loads of mending while I was waiting for the computer to return.

So my mechanical and electronic babies are back at home and I am a happy, happy woman. Happy, that is, until the credit card bill for all these repairs comes in. Hyperventilation may yet be the order of the day.


Ballo ergo sum - Gitana, the Creative Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment