Thursday, August 27, 2015

Black oil

(Click on any photo to view a larger image.)

My neighbor upstate gave me an old bird feeder, probably because I enjoy watching the birds at his feeder so much. I was thrilled and cleaned it out in preparation for filling, setting out and watching the local avian population gather to eat. I went out in search of wild bird seed and received a rather unpleasant shock...wild bird seed in expensive! The least expensive bag I found was $10 and that was for a mixed bag of seeds. The premium bag, comprised of all black oil (sunflower) seeds was even more expensive. That's when the light bulb went on. I grow sunflowers, I thought. I'm gonna use those seeds.

Upon my return downstate, I clipped some of the ripe sunflower heads to remove the seeds. One of those heads was nearly as large as the dinner plate I set it on (upper left photo). When I finished seeding that head, the seeds filled that same dinner plate (lower left photo). After seeding all the heads, I had filled a large pasta bowl with premium black oil sunflower seeds (lower right photo) that will fill my bird feeder on my next trip to my mountain home. My garden feeds me and my feathered friends. What a rush!

Can you see me smiling?



Ballo ergo sum

- Gitana, the Creative Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment