Friday, January 11, 2013

How to Blow an Egg

 (Click on any photo to view a larger image.)

First things first...Happy New Year, everyone. I hope 2013 is the best year you've ever had and the least of the years to come.

Today I had the kind of morning that so easily demonstrates how everything is connected. It started out in the kitchen and ended up on my craft table. It began with me doing something I don't normally do...I made breakfast. Not only did I make breakfast, I made something I've never made from scratch...waffles. Big, fat, hot and fluffy waffles. The recipe called for four eggs and, for some unexplained reason, I had the overwhelming desire to blow the eggs. No, I'm not referring to some obscene act performed on dairy products. (Admit it, that's what you were thinking, wasn't it?)  I'm talking about removing the egg's contents by blowing it out of tiny holes, thereby leaving the shells intact. Sure, cracking them would have been so much more expedient but blowing them is so much more... work! Besides, it's the only way to get the main material for a making a decorated egg. After all, Easter is only a few months away.

To blow an egg you have to make two tiny pinholes on either end of tyhe egg. This can be accomplished with a thick, sharp needle or, in my case, a teasing needle I retrieved from my old college dissection kit. Place the point of the needle on one end of your egg and carefully wiggle it around while applying gentle yet steady pressure on it until it begins to break through the shell. Once pierced, insert the needle as far into the shell as possible then remove it. Repeat this on the other side. Once both sides are pierced, using a slender hors doeuvre skewer (NOT a shish kebab skewer -- too big), insert it into a pinhole and SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY turn it around as if it were a drill. Eventually the hole will widen slightly and allow the skewer to enter the shell. Use the skewer to pierce repeatedly inside the egg and break the yolk. Repeat with the other pin hole. Place your lips on one of the pinholes and blow hard to expel the liquid egg into a receptacle.

Now the inside of the shells must be rinsed to remove any residue or they will begin to smell bad. Take a small amount of water in your mouth, hold the egg above your face slightly and bring one of the pinholes down to your mouth, the other one facing upwards. Push the water from your mouth up into the shell and fill it about halfway. Cover the two holes with your fingers, shake vigorously then blow the water out. Voila! You now have a clean, empty egg shell and the beginnings of a great omelette. As I said before, I used those eggs for making waffles. Wonderfully fragrant, light and airy waffles that were warm and delicious. Mmmm, yum.

In the process of cleaning out a long forgotten box, I found an old decorated egg ornament I'd begun nearly 30 years ago that I never really completed. It's simple and rudimentary but it served its purpose and is currently taking up residence among the creative detritus on my crafting table. This will be the inspiration for the next generation of decorated eggs I create. First I have to get past Valentine's Day which is approaching faster than I want to admit. I've started creating some hearts for cards but that's as far as I've gotten. (Refer to the creative detritus on the table around the decorated egg.) And I have yet to finish putting away my Christmas ornaments. Ah, well. One baby step at a time.

When I finish decorating those blown eggs, I'll be sure to post them here for your review and comment. Hope you'll stick around until then. Thanks.

Ballo ergo sum
- Gitana, the Creative Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment